Re: Tor seems to have a huge security risk--please prove me wrong!

Hi Hikki,

What you describe is known in the literature as website fingerprinting
attacks, and there have been several research papers published about
them. Consult freehaven.net/anonbib or type "website fingerprinting"
in your favorite search engine. I think the most recent paper on this
is "Website fingerprinting: attacking popular privacy enhancing
technologies with the multinomial naïve-bayes classifie" by Herman
et al.  at the 2009 ACM CCSW (Cloud Computing Security Workshop). It
will cite much of the relevant previous literature.

Roughly, while Tor is not invulnerable to such an attack, it fairs
pretty well, much better than other systems that this and earlier
papers examined mostly because the uniform size cells that Tor moves
all data with adds lots of noise.

The ability to identify destinations without seeing the destination
end of a connection (even with pretty low probability of typical
success) remains worthy of continued examination and analysis.
But end-to-end correlation remains the most significant
fact-of-life for all practical low-latency systems, including Tor.

aloha,
Paul