Re: [tor-talk] Problems with setting up of hidden service

On Thursday 04 August 2011 08:19:54 Orionjur Tor-admin wrote:
> 2st General Question.
> Under wich user I need to have files in the directory of hidden service?
> Of the user owned of the $HOME directory or of the user "tor" (in
> FreeBSD - "_tor")? And what file permissions I need to have?

The way I did it, the hostname and private_key files are owned by tor with
permissions 600, and are in /crypt/tor/chat/ which is also owned by tor with
permissions 700. There's no need for the server to read those files or even
be on the same computer as them. (/crypt is an encrypted partition.)

> In spite of using the directive "chroot" for the thttpd web-server there
> are opening my first public sites defined in my appach configuration but
> not the directory of hidden service. Why?!

You need to set your hidden server to use a port other than 80, then redirect
port 80 of the hidden service to the port the webserver is listening on.

HiddenServiceDir /crypt/tor/website1
HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:99

HiddenServiceDir /crypt/tor/website2
HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:255