Re: [tor-talk] New Tool Keeps Censors in the Dark - mentions Tor.

On 8/5/2011 2:25 PM, bertagaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 02:05:20PM -0500, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
On 8/3/2011 3:06 PM, Seth David Schoen wrote:
Matthew writes:

  http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/38207/?p1=A1
It's worth reading the paper:

https://www.telex.cc/paper.html
I only skimmed the paper, but it's quite interesting.  As always,
the Devil's in the details.  Will be interesting to see if it gains
momentum.
I've read the paper when it came out, and I have to say I'm quite perplex
about it: it seems to rely a lot on ISPs, which to me aren't entities that
have interest in getting into trouble with governments, and I'm not really
ready to put trust in.

So yes, we'll see, but I have serious doubts that this technology might be
that interesting.

I'd be far more interested to see the Dust protocol being implemented as a
Tor transport option, now that this feature is possible.

bert.
I think their concept is that the "friendly" ISPs will not know the true destination, therefore would not be complicit in allowing users to access forbidden sites. Apparently, after passing through the ISP to the "apparent" destination, Telex diverts the traffic to the "real" destination, based on tags inserted into the request on user's computer. In concept.
"We envision that friendly ISPs would deploy Telex stations on paths between censors’ networks and popular, uncensored Internet destinations. Telex stations would monitor seemingly innocuous flows for a special “tag” and transparently divert them to a forbidden website or service instead."