Re: [tor-talk] Pirate Linux

We want Pirate Linux to be for day to day use, so a Purely Live CD wouldn't make sense for that. We also want it to be easy to use for beginners, especially people who are new to Linux, so that's why we chose Ubuntu. But we can easily make a Debian version from that. We want the installer to choose Full Disk Encryption by default. It will also install Piratepack to perform the customization.

On the boot menu the main options will be:
- Try Ubuntu (Live CD with Piratepack, some video introductions & tutorials on how to prepare the hard drive for a new OS)
- Install Ubuntu (Install with Full disk encryption)
- Start Liberte (A Live Privacy Enhanced OS like Tails)
- Start Tails (Live mode)

So, you can install the main Ubuntu based OS to your hard drive. And in times where you need extra privacy, you reboot with the disk and choose "Start Liberte" or "Start Tails".

All this can easily fit on one DVD, and will basically be a showcase of what our Party views as "freedom".

Of course, this is still in the building/testing phase, so the plans might change.

Andrew.

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM, intrigeri <intrigeri@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

AK wrote (05 Aug 2011 01:44:05 GMT) :
> Soon we plan to create an ISO from this that will be based on
> Ubuntu. It will have a Live Boot feature and Full Disk Encryption.
> The Live Boot feature will allow someone to simply reboot their
> system from the Pirate Linux disc and choose to boot a Live Privacy
> Enhanced OS (such as Tails).

Do you mean mutually exclusive Live Boot and Full Disk Encryption modes?

More generally, I'd be happy to learn what makes your usecase / threat
model / specification / implementation decisions different from Tails'
ones [0], and to share as much work as we can.

[0] https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/

Bye,