From: Damian Johnson <atagar1@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Setting up a Tor relay on the hosting server.
To: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 11:23 AM

Lets start with: what OS and do you have root on this box? If it's, for instance, a debian based distro then that makes the setup a lot nicer.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM, William Wrightman <williamwrightman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a couple of questions about setting up a Tor relay.  I've read https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-relay.html.en and https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment and https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs

Here is what I understand happens.  Please correct me if the information below is wrong or could be better managed.

1.Select an hosting company. After you have the OK from them then upload the Tor tarball and untar it.  I think that only Tor is needed when you are operating as a relay (no need for the Vidalia GUI).  So at this point Tor is on the server of your hosting company.

2. Edit the torrc file with the appropriate exit policy.  Obviously you need to put the information in to make sure it is listed as an exit node so it is entered into the directory.

3. I think I am right to say that you could then need to execute the Tor binary. So if you have /home_directory_name/tor then you would presumably need to SSH in and run the binary.

Or would it be easier to setup a cron job so that the binary starts but then stays on permanently?

Thanks.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----