Re: [tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

On 8/1/2012 4:45 PM, adrelanos wrote:
Got it. Good point. There has been very few research done on that subject. Always makes sense to use a trustworthy mail provider as an activist instant of a non-trustworthy. Even if you use GPG. They can still try a targeted attack on your browser of tell who is communicating with whom and sell some metadata like when you logged in etc. Riseup has been recommend by (imho) trustworthy and honest people. Tormail is anonymously run, could be run by evil or honest people. Who knows. 50/50 chance I'd say.
[...]
If they are honest, they can not be forced into cooperating with an adversary. In that case they were even better than Riseup. Or they are already run by your adversary and then you are left with the protections provided by Tor (and gpg). On the other hand riseup hosts servers in US, thus they are subject to US laws. Other then using a well motivated and known mail provider you could try a different approach. If your whistleblow is about country X, use a mail provider in country Y. Any countries (almost) in war with each other are are good choice and unlikely to share any intelligence. And even then, it could be pointless, if the server security in that country is poor. Due to lack of theoretical research and practical tests or stories the perfect decision for the best resistant mail provider is more than difficult.
Thanks again everyone, for the helpful info. I read some of Safe-mail's documents. Particularly, section "Abuse of the * FREE * accounts."
While [free] SignUp is not available, you may request a new account by sending an email message from an EXISTING Safe-mail.net account....

Apart from the Free SignUp that is not allways available, the system is functioning well and existing users shouldn't experience any problems or restrictions.

In last sentence, it's unclear if signing up for free acct ALWAYS must come from an existing acct. "... is not always available," indicates sometimes it is. Haven't tried registering for free acct /w Tor yet, but I'm guessing they'll require an email from a * Safe-mail acct.* I know no one w/ an acct.

RISEUP.net:
"There are two ways to have your account approved: you can either get invite codes from existing users you know or wait for us to approve your request. It is sometimes difficult for us to keep up with the volume of requests, so it may take us up to a FEW WEEKS to get back to you. If you know two different riseup.net users, you can use the invite method, and your account will be created and be ready to use immediately.

Mail2World:
Mail2World may terminate your access to any part or all of the Service and any related service(s) at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately, for any reason whatsoever.
Sounds a little harsh. Any reason * whatsoever *? You email a presidential candidate's site that they don't like? If using Tor, they may not know your real IP / location, but (I assume) they can see recipient addresses.