Re: [tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

On 8/1/2012 9:17 PM, grarpamp wrote:
Riseup has been recommend by (imho) trustworthy and honest people.
RiseUp is that place that makes you fill out *why* you want
one of their free accounts, your activism. What do you guys put in there?
Can you just leave it blank? Or say 'not applicable',
no reason, unspecified. Do you have to say 'anonymous',
research, education, personal use? Or tell them of
your love of dogs?

I'm happy with other comon non-gmail free providers. RiseUp
is cool/important so I'd not use them unless I had to and could
donate.

If you do not use the invite method, please tell us about your
activism. Do not include acronyms or personally identifiable
information. This information will be destroyed as soon as your
account is approved.
wait for us to approve your request.

Thanks. Riseup says they don't store IP addresses or log emails. If (for a company in U.S.) the gov't will even ALLOW that, then that's good - as almost all provider say they log to some extent. BUT... considering ISPs, wireless providers, Skype - on & on - are being "forced" into either keeping records, that can be demanded w/ very little reason from an LEA, or are being strong armed into providing backdoors, I at least * question * whether one mail provider (onshore, in U.S.) can resist the long arm of the law.

I may be wrong. But, as most know, just because a company makes claims, doesn't mean they're true.

2nd, I can't find anywhere - w/o signing up - what Riseup's general "starting" storage quota or max message and / or attachment size limits are, even using search engines. I understand IF they don't make $ off advertising, they need it from other sources (donations). But, their suggested "individual" donation of $5 - 15 / mo & for businesses, 1% of annual budget (Ex.: $100 for $10K budget) seems lopsided. A business / organization will generate way more traffic than (especially) me. But, I don't know what I'd get for $5 / mo, even if I liked them, unless I sign up or another user tells me.

Re: GMX & Tor address problem. GMX responded to request I sent about not being able to sign up w/ Tor - at my organization (wink). They request on their site to include the IP you're having problems registering with, so I gave the (current) Tor IP. They said,
Dear GMX Customer,

This IP address has been marked in a blacklist. Even if it changes we recommend you to create an account from another computer or to contact your internet provider.
So, big surprise, lots of people are using Tor addresses & then doing crap to give it (certain addresses, anyway) a bad name & get blacklisted. Question: was mentioned about using Tor to access Yahoo mail. Certainly, you can't OPEN a Gmail acct w/ Tor w/o giving mobile #, 1st born son, etc. Can't sign up for GMX w/ Tor.

Why would Yahoo allow using Tor? Or, is it that the acct was NOT created using Tor, but later accessing it via Tor - * as antispam06 mentioned * ? (not sure exactly what he meant) What would that accomplish, for anonymity? If you didn't create the acct w/ Tor (or proxy), they know the real IP address of the owner. Thanks.