Re: [tor-talk] Anonymizing middlebox - What's the function of VirtualAddrNetwork config option?

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 11:15:34AM +0000, adrelanos wrote:

> > I have only a little experience like system admin but I would like to set up an
> > anonymizing middlebox for a subnet; so I was reading the page
> > https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxy but I can not
> > understand the funziont of the VirtualAddrNetwork option - it is not related to
> > the address of the subnet, right? It is only a functional address?
>
> See Tor manual [1] for VirtualAddrNetwork. (Will allow nslookup against
> .onion.)

Ok, I think to understand.

> > Also, I found in previous page the indication for the TransListenAddress option
> > but in man page of my tor (0.2.3.19-rc) it is marked as DEPRECATED: does the
> > page in the wiki need an upgrade?
> >

> The whole wiki needs updated articles.

:-(

> I consider the whole article dubious. There are so many considerations
> missing, Transparent Proxy Leaks site [2] has been created by me but
> it's far from complete. There is aos [3], also a project of mine working
> on determining, documenting and fixing the issues.
>
> Issues such as not forcing the whole operating system through the same
> TransPort (same circuit, identity correlation), secure time sync over
> Tor, using Tor Browser behind an anonymzing middlebox without doing Tor
> over Tor and so on.
>
> [1] https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual-dev.html.en
> [2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxyLeaks
> [3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBOX

I read these articles but at this time I don't think they will apply to my
situation because this is a "friendly" one. We need only a way not to need to
save logs.

Thnaks the same.

--
Noel Pluny