Re: [tor-talk] Tor as ecommerce platform

At 12:01 PM 8/10/2012 -0700, you wrote:

>Tor is a relatively new and underdeveloped technology, used exclusively
>by early adopters, technophiles, weirdos, and people who really really
>need it. We don't advertise. We're not in stores. This is because we're
>pretty much still in the prototype stage.
>
>As with most new and underdeveloped technologies, we're going to have
>our demographics dominated by those early adopters and weirdos rather
>than our target demographics.
>
>For example, in terms of number of users, I'd wager a top current
>demographic is "Paranoid Schizophrenic". If it's not #1, it's gotta be
>top 5. The more general category "Antisocial tendencies" is probably
>another top 5. "People who secretly view fully legal porn" is almost
>certainly up there, perhaps vying with the schizophrenics for the #1
>position.
>
>The early Internet (even as late as the mid-90s) was also dominated by
>these same classes of people. Eventually it became usable by the
>normals and the demographics shifted quite dramatically.
>
>We all work on Tor every day so that it sucks a little less each day, so
>that those demographics *can* shift. However, right now, it's only the
>extremes and certain niche elements of society who will suffer through
>using it: Dissidents, journalists, law enforcement, militaries, and the
>antisocial weirdos/crazies.

        I don't think I follow.

        Who do you think would be the 'mainstream' and 'normal' users of Tor?

>The Tor users page is in my mind a reflection of what our demographics
>will look like as we improve our technology enough to be useful for
>everyone who wants Internet privacy. We leave out the antisocial
>creeps/weirdos/crazies because they are not our target userbase, and
>their relative dominance right now is merely a reflection of our
>relatively early development status.

        But you actually are working...for whom?

        For the american military, cops and the fascist american 'public'?

        I don't think those people need Tor - at all.

>No offense to the weirdos, though. You guys are my people :).

        Really? You don't come across as very friendly to the 'weirdos'.