Re: [tor-talk] Tor as ecommerce platform

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 00:47:26 +0300, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Andrew Lewman <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How would you have us promote Tor?

The âTor usersâ page isn't presented as a promotional page, it is
presented as a factual one. I also remember discussion on this list
where I expressed doubt about some aspects listed there (military
uses), and the overall claim was that the page is a good
representation of the current userbase.

You did not answer Andrew's question, rather you went off into a tangent. How would you promote Tor?

Please explain, in detail, how you use Tor and why you use tor to get us started.

So why not answer those questions honestly, and not pretend that users
are stupid? As I said, it detracts from the project's credibility.
Anyone who installs Tor (or I2P, for that matter) and explores the
hidden services, immediately sees the overwhelmingly illegal (mostly,
since it depends on jurisdiction) content. Anyone who runs an exit
node immediately sees that a sizable portion of the traffic is of
questionable nature. [1]

This is not true. http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#mccoy-pet2008 is one study which refutes your assertion.

And here is another, http://planete.inrialpes.fr/papers/TorTraffic-NSS10.pdf.

And here is another, with attempted content classification, https://b.kentbackman.com/2010/05/06/what-kind-of-traffic-really-goes-on-tor-the-onion-router-networks/.

And more data, http://www.omninerd.com/articles/What_Traffic_is_on_a_TOR_Relay

Do your own research. Run an exit and publish the tcpdump results.