Re: [tor-talk] Tor already running

Aaron Paden:
> On 08/24/2012 05:36 AM, bao song wrote:
>> If you built your package from scratch in some version of Unix, you'll
>> have to close Tor manually. People who know how to build packages from
>> scratch in Unix are expected to know how to close Tor manually, and/or
>> how to hack the Browser source code so that closing the Browser also
>> closes Vidalia and stops Tor.
>
> Are you a dev for the browser bundle? Your expectations are unrealistic.
> Most people using Linux do not build their own packages, they use
> packages built for them by the distribution maintainers. Some
> distributions will patch packages to suit their needs, but others don't
> make decisions that should be made upstream as a matter of policy and
> only provide vanilla packages.

Agreed.

> I'm making a suggestion for the official package. That is allowed,
> right?

Yes.

> This is an open-sourced project, right?

Yes.

> You're in luck, though, I
> do know some programming/scripting. I'll look into the problem myself if
> you're interested in a patch.

Great! The problem is considered a bug. (Stated somewhere in Tor FAQ.) I
don't know if there is already a trac ticket for this bug. If not, we
must create one.

> IMO, the ideal behavior is that tor will continue running.

Tor and Vidalia should continue running.

> Some people
> use the proxy for other applications. The script should check to see if
> Vidalia is already running, and if so, just launch the browser. If you
> prefer the behavior be consistent with Windows, though, I'll do that
> instead.

Let's work out any ideal and/or by Mike Perry accepted solution.

In my ticket [1], related to the linux startup script, Mike said "For
Linux, that sounds great. However on Mac and Windows? Not sure. Of
course, that need not block your Linux implementation as far as I'm
concerned", so feel free start fixing either Linux or Windows and fix
the other one afterwards or not.

Since we are offering patches, it might make sense to discuss this on
tor-dev and/or on IRC with mikeperry.

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/5611