[tor-talk] TOR bundle on hostile platforms: why?

A recent discussion on Slashdot compelled me to make a suggestion for the
TOR community. Please forgive me if I come across sounding too harsh: this
is only because I am attempting to critique a very large part of what the
project is doing. At any rate, I have no personal stake in the way TOR is
developed or distributed, and will remain a happy and grateful user
regardless of how this discussion continues.

I think that TOR developers are making a grave mistake by providing the TOR
bundle for platforms which are not only insecure by design, but are outright
hostile to the user. Both MS Windows and OS X can be safely assumed to spy on
all actions taken by users, and so TOR project shouldn't claim that using TOR
bundle on these platforms provides a means of communication that is either
secure or private. Claiming that TOR can achieve any of its primary design
goals on these platforms is misinformed at best, and edges on dishonesty.

In my view, MS Windows and OS X bundles should be discontinued for the sake of
safety, security, and privacy of TOR users. Today, the users are being misled
into thinking that their communications are private, even though there is a
fair chance that MS Windows already includes code designed specifically to
intercept local TOR traffic. Moreover, all TOR users should be told up-front
that running TOR on top of a fully or partially non-free OS makes about as much
sense as installing a vault door in a house without walls. Even running TOR
alongside (unprivileged) non-free apps should be frowned upon, given a generous
amount of local exploits found in even the best free OSes.