Re: [tor-talk] Secure email with limited usable metadata

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM, coderman <coderman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> my contempt for email should be evident by provider; ...  ;)

Gmail seems intent on refusing signups via Tor without
supplying other linkable and not rationally expendable
data such as phone. I expect they'll bleed off users who
need this to other providers through attrition, and incur
negative publicity from prospective new users for failing
to support it in these days.

There were a few threads over on tor-talk in which a
gmail staff participated. Some community suggestion
was made for refundable bitcoin deposit to appease
the google claims, not sure where that went.

> use other tools and protocols for private communication!

Amongst your convinceable and tutorable peers, yes
of course. Amongst the rest of the world..

> here's to hoping TorMail stays dormant...

..I don't agree. It will be a long time before anything
replaces traditional email worldwide. Until then traditional
email services do need to be out there... accessible via
Tor and free / donation based for basic messaging use.
Independant mail nodes can work if done well, that's
essentially what TorMail, Lavabit, SC, Hush, etc are.
And though you may encrypt the body, there are uses
for which you don't want to (non crypto peers). Know
the weaknesses, your tools, and pick the right one for
the right use. TorMail was in some sense the most
interesting thing since the mail mixes. And other services
that try to do crypto for you, can't, it's impossible hype.
Better to continue building OpenPGP etc into traditional
mail clients smoother.

note: Last I saw TorMail up was Aug 5 early UTC.