[tor-talk] Tor Mail Gateway (was: Re: Replacement for Tormail)

On 18.08.2013 19:51, Gordon Morehouse wrote:
>>> This isn't gonna cut it.  A Tormail replacement that's any good,
>>> that's reliable, that's censorship-resistant, that's hardened ...
>>> that will require professionals to set it up.

I don't want to imply that we are professionals, but we will soon run a
mail gateway for .onions.

The idea is that you can email @xyz.onion.to, and the mail gateway will
forward the mail to @xyz.onion. The gateway will only accept PGP mails,
and I'm thinking about enforcing TLS.

For the other way round, xyz.onion will be able to register and receive
a passphrase. With the passphrase, xyz.onion will be able to relay/send
emails as @xyz.onion.to. The gateway will also rewrite outgoing
@xyz.onion to @xyz.onion.to.
Maybe we should use client certificates instead.

Another open question is what we should do with headers. At the moment,
the configuration file (onion_anonymize_headers) explicitly removes
User-Agent, X-Enigmail, X-Mailer and X-Originating-IP, whitelists
((Resent-)?From|To|Cc|Date|Return-Path|Message-ID|Reply-To|Bcc), and
then throws away any other header. This is obviously not the final
configuration. If anyone wants to contribute, feel welcome.

I hope that with the modified torsocks that has an option to only torify
.onion I can simply put it in front of postfix and be done. We'll see.

I invite everyone to contribute to the postfix configuration, and,
eventually, to run more mail gateways.

https://github.com/moba/tor2mail

No documentation yet, but I will make it ready before we launch.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/