Re: [tor-talk] Tor relay activity from Antarctica

On 28 August 2013 12:29, lee colleton <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is an indication that computers are connecting to the "Tor"
> anonymizing proxy network from Antarctica. This information is anonymously
> self-reported by the connecting client computers and it's entirely possible
> that the locations are inaccurate. However, there is also a possibility
> that malicious software has been installed on computers in one of your
> research stations which is using the Tor network for command-and-control
> purposes, unbeknownst to the owners. I would encourage you to investigate
> this matter.

Is there any reason you suspect that Tor is being used maliciously,
and that it's not likely someone on the research station is interested
in protecting their privacy or anonymity? (Although if it's the
latter, they'd probably not be doing too good =P)  Seeing as it's
likely the research stations are supplied internet through government
connections, I'd be interested in using Tor if I were on such a
station...

-tom