Re: [tor-talk] Tor and Financial Transparency

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:02:24 -0700
BM-2D9WhbG2VeKsLCsGBTPLGwDLQyPizSqS85@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks; please see
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9614.

Thanks.

> Can anyone working for the Tor Project comment on its U.S. Department
> of Defense funded activities beyond what appears when searching for
> N66001-11-C-4022 (the number of the award from the Tor Project's 2012
> Financial Statements)?

Due to legal restrictions, we can't directly tie contracts to
public lists of output. However, all of our active contract works
are published here,
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors

We don't accept secret work, contracts, nor money from anyone.
Everything we do is public. Hopefully this point came across in the
blog post,
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/transparency-openness-and-our-2012-financial-docs

And to address the next question, the parts of the US and Swedish
Governments that fund us through contracts want to see strong privacy
and anonymity exist on the Internet in the future. Don't assume that
"the government" is one coherent entity with one mindset.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact