Re: [tor-talk] Email Clients and Tor

Most internet related programs can be configured to use Tor, but not
necessarily in a totally anonymous way. Some programs still leak
information about your IP, for example when doing DNS requests. But
also, if the socks-proxy answers are too slow which happens frequently
with TOR, programs that are mainly intended to be user friendly instead
of secure may try to bypass the proxy setting and try to connect
directly with a server if the latency is too high, if the transfer speed
is too low or if there are frequent time-outs. All of this happens every
now and then with Tor when you happen to get a "bad circuit" which slows
everything down. But of course you're generally more anonymous while
using Tor partially than by not using Tor at all, but be aware of the
false sense of security this gives you. You might not be anonymous at
all sometimes when you believe you're anonymous because of how the
program is programmed to use proxies.

Just set the proxy setting like this if you want to use any program with
Tor:
- socks 5 (or socks 4a)
- 127.0.0.1:9150 (if you use TorBrowserBundle. And it has to run in the
background at the same time as you're using your mail program)
- 127.0.0.1:9050 (if you prefer running on your relay's Tor port)

I quickly checked the settings in (Sylpheed) Claws, and didn't find any
proxy settings. But settings in the original Sylpheed are probably
different from those in Claws.

May my force be with you!
/the God of thunder ;-)