Re: [tor-talk] JonDo uses Tor v0.2.3.25 SocksPort but not for v0.2.4.20-v0.2.4.23; why?

On 8/2/2014 12:48 PM, Mirimir wrote:
I've been playing with JAP/JonDo routed through Tor. The JonDo client
has a SOCKS proxy option, and it works well with Tor v0.2.3.25
SocksPorts in Ubuntu 14.04.1 x64. I installed Tor from the Ubuntu 12.04
repository, by the way.

After upgrading Tor to v0.2.4.20, which is default in Ubuntu 14.04, the
JonDo client can no longer use Tor SocksPorts. Upgrading Tor to the
latest v0.2.4.23 doesn't restore that functionality.

Please share insight. I'm guessing that a security fix in Tor, or in
libraries that it uses, has broken something about how the JonDo client
uses SOCKS proxies.

Other than just playing / testing, if going to use Tor *network* anyway, what might be the advantage of using vanilla Firefox w/ the JonDo profile (extension) rather than Torbrowser? Just asking.

Seems Torbrowser w/ Torbutton & all other customizations to Fx, it is modified to be more anonymous & safer than even Firefox using the JonDo extension.