Re: [tor-talk] Tor DNS

On 07/31/2014 05:52 AM, CJ wrote:

> Heya! Just jumping in there in order to point a post on tor-dev ML:
>
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-July/007258.html

this approach may be really interesting, I think it deserve an
> answer :). It bypasses the centralized "pressionable" entity,
> keeps anonymity and so on.
>
> Cheers,
>
> C.

Hi,

I'm a developer of Namecoin.  We actually have DNS for .onion
addresses already working, although the implementation is pretty rough
and should only be considered a proof of concept.  Right now it's in
the form of a Firefox extension, but a XULRunner-based standalone
proxy application is close to release.  There's a little bit of info
at http://bit.namecoin.info/ , but we haven't done a great job of
documenting the .onion support yet... I can answer questions.

One potential issue is that Namecoin (and most Bitcoin-based
currencies) aren't anonymous due to blockchain graph analysis; the
best that can be obtained right now is pseudonymity.  This is still
useful, since it gives you location anonymity, so you can hide the
true location+IP of your .onion server and/or your Namecoin node.
We're interested in implementing the Zerocash proposal by
Miers/Garman/et.al. once its code is released, which would give much
better anonymity.

I'm not sure why the author of the proposal linked above thinks that
we need Tor relays to be trusted... the Namecoin developers are
actively looking at solutions such as SPV+UTXO, which has much better
trust properties than trusting a quorum of 3 random relays, and
doesn't use much storage or bandwidth.

Any questions, feel free to ask -- we're more than interested in
working with the Tor community to make DNS for .onion usable.

Cheers,
-Jeremy Rand