Re: [tor-talk] Why adding Guard-Exit (EE) node in Tor yeild more catch probability than adding guard and exit node separately?

Hi Matt,

If I understand correctly, you ran a simulation where you had x nodes which
had the Guard flag and y exit nodes..

Yes.

then you ran another simulation where you had (x+y) exit nodes which also
had the Guard flag? Is this correct?

No.

In simulation, there is node which has both Guard and exit flag, so called
guard-exit node (EE node). I put (x+y) EE node and ran the simulation.

Please refer to the shadow wiki below

https://github.com/shadow/shadow/wiki/Using-the-scallion-plug-in

Here you can see Guard+Exit relays.

Thanks,
Saurav

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:57 AM, Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 10:40:17AM +0900, saurav dahal wrote:
> > I am trying to observe the catch probability i.e. probability that a
> client
> > selects my added guard as well as exit node while making a circuit.
> >
> > First I inserted certain number of guard nodes and certain number of exit
> > nodes in Tor network and performed the simulation in Shadow simulator.
> > After completion of simulation, I calculated the catch probability.
> >
> > Then again I added the same number of Guard-Exit (EE) node and perform
> the
> > simulation and calculated the probability.
> >
> > I found that catch probability for EE nodes are much higher than those of
> > guard and exit node separately.
> >
> > Could anyone please explain why this happened?
>
> Hi Saurav,
>
> Can you clarify what you mean by Guard-Exit nodes? If I understand
> correctly, you ran a simulation where you had x nodes which had the
> Guard flag and y exit nodes, then you ran another simulation where
> you had (x+y) exit nodes which also had the Guard flag? Is this
> correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
> --

Saurav Dahal,
Wireless communication and Networking lab,
Dept. of Computer Engineering,
Chosun University,
309 Pilmun-daero, Dong-gu
Gwangju, 501-759 S.KOREA