Re: [tor-talk] using locally installed Tor in TBB

isis:
> This should be fixed (for Linux) in an upcoming Tor Browser 4.0 release. I've
> added these things to the `start-tor-browser` script. There are:
>
>     - Instructions for use, including additional Firefox preferences that
>       you'll need to set (to tell Tor Button where your ControlPort and
>       SocksPort are, etc.)
>
>     - An "easy" spot in the `start-tor-browser` script to put in your
>       ControlPort password so that it is given to the Firefox process (but not
>       exported, because then other programs might be able to steal it)
>
>     - A line will print to your terminal telling you that you're using a
>       system-installed Tor.
>
> See #10178, [0] and this commit [1] containing the changes. If you're running
> Linux and would like to test these, nightly builds are available. [2]
>
> Contributions to improve this, i.e. automatically setting the preferences for
> you, are welcome.
>
> [0]: https://bugs.torproject.org/10178
> [1]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/commitdiff/a566e85f785c12157283920a179cdc64fdd28b32
> [2]: https://people.torproject.org/~linus/builds/

Hi isis,

thank you for working on this!

Comments on the script / patch:

- You switched from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash. While I personally
preferred to forget about bothering with sh and switching to bash, I
don't there are any systems that only have sh, no bash? (`checkbashisms`
may be helpful.)

- Can you run the script through the code analysis tool `shellcheck`
please? [1] It reports some issues that are worth fixing.

- Wouldn't it be better if the script started Firefox using `exec`? (As
per best scripting practices [4].)

If you wish I could do the changes in a github branch if you would be
willing to review.

All the best,
Patrick

[1] shellcheck [2] is an online service and Libre Software
(downloadable) that detects problems with sh/bash scripts. Also
available in Debian jessie [3] and sid.
[2] http://www.shellcheck.net/
[3] https://packages.debian.org/jessie/shellcheck
[4] http://mywiki.wooledge.org/WrapperScript