Re: [tor-talk] Hidden services, what is recommended

Martin S wrote:
Today I've had a conversation with colleague regarding email
encryption, encrypted telephony and hidden services on the Tor
network. In regards to the latter, what - in your opinion - would be
suitable services to put on Tor (.onion) sites? Would you for example
put PGP keys exchanges on there? There might be interest in running
chat or other communications or document sharing.

Actually, what you're describing are some of the more common uses of hidden services. Some people run xmpp or irc servers as hidden services to have truly private chat among their friends (plus you can run a web client like qwebirc). A human rights nonprofit recently asked me to set up a PGP public key server as a hidden service. Lots of people run cozy.io instances as hidden services for "personal clouds" calendar, contacts, task list, documents etc. A good friend of mine set up his RSS feeds to pipe into a hidden service, and just uses the Tor browser to read the news (even if he's in a filtered location).

For audio chat, Mumble does okay. I probably wouldn't recommend it as an enterprise solution when used over Tor, but it's pretty good when using it in push-to-talk mode.

hope this helps!

best,
Griffin

--
"I believe that usability is a security concern; systems that do
not pay close attention to the human interaction factors involved