Re: [tor-talk] Historically speaking, what was the U.S. navy /military

dear paul - specifically how did YOU know how to / or that you could get
funding from the navy... specifically the navy that is... not just the
general US gov

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Paul Syverson <paul.syverson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 03:58:59PM +0800, Virgil Griffith wrote:
> > >         You did that on purpose, right? You obviously knew the kind of
> > >         answers your question would generate.
> >
> > I was hoping for responses like those from Dr. Syverson.  I was not
> > interested in debating the ethics or justification---simply what the
> > original funders were looking for / wishing to fund.
> >
> > To summarize, the answer I got was: There was no explicit problem to
> > be solved,
>
> There _were_ explicit problems, but nobody approached us with them or
> with requirements that they said needed a new technology. We came up
> with some specific problems we thought might be useful to solve and a
> technology that addressed them. These co-evolved, and I can't say
> which is the chicken and which is the egg. We also tried to design in
> an open-ended and modular way in expectation of other applications
> that we had not yet thought of or evolutions of existing applications.
> And this was as much or more about anticipation than about the
> communication environment that existed at the time, which is the
> reason I mentioned the pizza channel (since I don't think anybody was
> offering a way to order food over the Web in 1995).
>
> > we just had this cool research idea and ONR was cool with
> > funding us to study it.  However, when we discussed the motivations
> > with managers we talked about mitigating leaks from things like "The
> > Pizza Channel" or enabling field-agents to covertly phone home.
>
> Well not just managers. In papers, conference presentations, etc.
> basically to anyone that we were trying to tell about onion routing
> and what it had the potential to do.
>
> aloha,
> Paul
>

> > -V
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Juan <juan.g71@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > >         By the way, you started this thread here and now you want to
> > >         move it somewhere else?
> > >
> > >         You did that on purpose, right? You obviously knew the kind of
> > >         answers your question would generate.

Cari Machet
NYC 646-436-7795
carimachet@xxxxxxxxx
AIM carismachet
Syria +963-099 277 3243
Amman +962 077 636 9407
Berlin +49 152 11779219
Reykjavik +354 894 8650
Twitter: @carimachet <https://twitter.com/carimachet>

7035 690E 5E47 41D4 B0E5 B3D1 AF90 49D6 BE09 2187

Ruh-roh, this is now necessary: This email is intended only for the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of this
information, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email without
permission is strictly prohibited.