Re: [tor-talk] "Your Firefox is out of date"

at bottom :-

On 11/08/2016, Georg Koppen <gk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snipped>

> Yes, this is bug 19890 and it should be fixed on Mozilla's side right
> now (I tested it a while ago): having a clean Tor Browser you won't get
> that warning anymore. To quote from the blog post update:
>
> """
> Update (August 11, 10:04 UTC): Starting from a couple of hours ago Tor
> Browser users might see a notification box in their browser claiming
> that Firefox is too old providing a button to get a newer one. This is
> both due to a server-side code change on Mozilla's side and an oversight
> by us during the ESR45 transition. Clicking on the "Get Firefox" button
> is save and leads the user to our Tor Browser download page. Needless to
> say, this whole behavior is highly confusing and we are apologizing for
> it. We are working on a fix as past as possible and hope to get Mozilla
> to exempt Tor Browser users from this feature while we are working on a
> new release. For technical details see our bug tracker.
> """
>
> We plan to release a new Tor Browser version shortly to address the
> issue from our side. As a workaround one can either install a new Tor
> Browser 6.0.3 version from our website or set
> `extensions.systemAddon.update.url` to `""` which should get rid of the
> out-of-date-extension the next time an extension update check gets
> performed. Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> Georg

Dear Georg,

I tried and did as shared above, i.e. going ot about:config and
changing the value from the URL. I even tried updating the addons in
order to make the "Your Firefox is out of date" disappear but no
change.

I looked at the bug-report and tried the second option shared therein -

A solution --
Go to about:config/extensions.bootstrappedAddon
Reset the string Value to empty Value {}
Restart Tor browser.
The warning will not appear again.

That worked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TOR/comments/4x8wwk/solution_for_the_false_warning_your_firefox_is/