Re: [tor-talk] New relays and bridges.

On 8/21/2016 3:59:42 PM, laurelai bailey (laurelaistorm@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> But when tor.exe got integrated into the Tor browser, windows users (at
> least me) have not been able to set up relays.

From what I understand it is better if Tor relays and Bridges have
longer term availability.

It could be that only running a Relay for the 2 hours you are browsing
the web and then cutting off all the connections that have been made
through your Relay when you powerdown your desktop Windows PC and go to
bed might not be desirable.

I think it is rare for a desktop Windows machine to stay running 24/7.
So don't feel too bad about it.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 05:19:02PM +0300, me@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I would like to use a TBB version without the Tor daemon integrated.
> It's so easy to install and run the Tor daemon on Linux, but TBB makes
> life hard.

I completely agree. By running Tor as a system daemon you can run it
under its own User (such as debian-tor) and then set up firewall rules
to block all outbound traffic except that coming from the Tor user.

This is how Tails prevents unintentional leaks that would have bypassed
Tor and potentially revealed your real IP address.

This is not possible when your unprivileged user starts Tor Browser and
then some weird Firefox plugin automatically launches Tor.

A download for just the Tor Browser without all the other crap mixed in
would be nice but it's not a big deal. Having sane defaults for
unsophisticated users is more important.