Re: No Data error connecting with hidden services

> Hi,
>
> I hope this is the right place to ask my question.
>
> I have added socks proxy support to my remailer client QuickSilver. I
> find I can connect and use Tor for various protocols (SMTP, HTTP,
> FTP, NNTP, POP3) without problems. However, when I try to connect
> with a hidden service, for example panta remailer's service
> rjgcfnw4sd2jaqfu.onion, I get an immediate 'No Data' error. I expect
> this is a problem with my email client, but I have no idea what to
> look into to correct it. If anyone could shed some light on this I
> would be very appreciative.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard
> --
> Richard Christman
> http://quicksilvermail.net

The main cause of problems with connecting to hidden services is
when the application looks up the hostname and provide the ip to the
socks server instead. An .onion address isn't real and can't be
resolved so this is where errors happen.

I've come across many applications that say they support Socks 4A
but in fact still end up looking up the hostname and passing an ip
instead.

I understand that Quicksilver uses a third party "internet controls"
which provides the socks support. Grab a free packet sniffer like
Ethereal and double check to make sure that this library isn't doing
that.

I also saw on your list an error message posted:
Dec 06 15:08:12.484 [warn] No Tor server exists that allows exit to
208.180.124.28:2525. Rejecting.

Tor actually provides the hostname instead of the ip when giving
these errors, if it's been given a hostname. Perhaps the user
specifically used the ip instead of "mail.dingoremailer.com", but it
seems that your internet toolkit might possibly be looking up
hostnames itself instead of passing them to the socks server

If I'm completely wrong and barking up the wrong tree, the next
thing to do is get a far more detailed report from Tor about what's
happening. Adding the line:

Log debug file debug.txt

to your torrc will get tor to spew out an incredibly detailed log to
debug.txt which will explain any reasons for a socks connection not
completing. Posting it here might enable people to see what the
problem is, as there's not too much to go on right now.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.