Re: Multi-root DNS is real.

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Matthias Fischmann wrote:

  besides yet more beautiful unicode-related desaster, the article
  points out that there are by now different DNS roots in the internet,
  and which one you reach depends on your client IP address.

There may well be thousands of "roots" on the internet, but at least
so far, there has been almost no buy-in from caching server
operators willing to point at these "alternate roots".

I could configure my nameserver to serve '.' authoritatively with
any data I want in a couple of minutes, but the signifigance of me
doing so (other than to myself) would be zero.

Whether or not your resolver hits an 'alternate root' depends not on
your IP address, but what nameserver your resolver is using. As of
now I do not believe any regional ISPs have drank the alt-root
koolaid.

In any case, the sky is not falling this week; and your dns query
will almost certainly be answered by a nameserver delegated from the
root zone served by root-servers.net, unless you have intentionally
configured them not to.

matto

--matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<darwin><
              The only thing necessary for the triumph
              of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke