Off Topic: Getting PGP and GnuPG Public Keys

I've noticed a fair number of list members use GnuPG or PGP and I got
tired of manually trying to find a keyserver that had the poster's
public key. I know they are supposed exchange keys, but this seems very
hit or miss. So I wrote the little script below. It includes several
keyservers I'd been using plus all the ones listed at
http://www.la-samhna.de/library/keyserver_list.html
less those that did not respond within a few seconds. It seems to work
pretty well under bash (Linux, CentOS 3.4/Red Hat Enterprise 3.4). It
also works on OpenBSD 3.9 under csh and ksh, so it should work under
just about any bash, csh, or ksh environment with GnuPG installed. For
PGP you'd need to correct the command syntax for each keyserver.

I hope someone finds this useful.

George Shaffer

if gpg --keyserver tickets.rutgers.edu --recv-key $1
then
   echo tickets.rutgers.edu
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key $1
then
   echo pgp.mit.edu
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver keyserver.veridis.com  --recv-key $1
then
   echo keyserver.veridis.com
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver pgp.keyserver.ch  --recv-key $1
then
   echo pgp.keyserver.ch
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver pgp.surfnet.nl --recv-key $1
then
   echo pgp.surfnet.nl
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver www.stinkfoot.org --recv-key $1
then
   echo www.stinkfoot.org
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver pgp.es.net --recv-key $1
then
   echo pgp.es.net
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver pgp.rediris.es --recv-key $1
then
   echo pgp.rediris.es
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver pgp.nic.ad.jp --recv-key $1
then
   echo pgp.nic.ad.jp
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver pgp.uk.demon.net --recv-key $1
then
   echo pgp.uk.demon.net
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver pgp.zdv.uni-mainz.de --recv-key $1
then
   echo pgp.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver keyserver.linux.it --recv-key $1
then
   echo keyserver.linux.it
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver keys.iif.hu --recv-key $1
then
   echo keys.iif.hu
   exit
fi

if gpg --keyserver pgp.eteo.mondragon.edu --recv-key $1
then
   echo pgp.eteo.mondragon.edu
   exit
fi

echo exiting failure

--
To verify the authenticity of this message you need my GnuPG
public key which can be found at http://geodsoft.com/about/ or