Re: Directory Server

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 07:14:21PM +0800, RMS wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was looking through the Tor's overview homepage and I understand for
> Tor to build a path, it must first obtain a list of Tor nodes from a
> directory server. I like to ask how can I trust the directory server
> in the first place? Can my govenment set up such a server and give me
> a list of government owned Tor nodes instead? Surely she can redirect
> all traffic (if the IP address of the Tor's directory server is
> hardcoded into the Tor client) from the Tor's directory server to her
> own server?

It's actually multiple directory server's that allow a vote

http://tor.eff.org/svn/trunk/doc/dir-spec.txt

and the authoritative directory server public keys are in the client
you download

http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#KeyManagement
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/VerifyingSignatures

It's not perfect, but the problem you are concerned with should not arise.

-Paul
--
Paul Syverson                              ()  ascii ribbon campaign
Contact info at http://www.syverson.org/   /\  against html e-mail