From: owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Robert Hogan
Sent: December 19, 2006 1:07 PM
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: suggestion for 'is my installation of tor working?' page

Hi all,

http://lefkada.eecs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ipaddr.pl?tor=1
https://tns.nighteffect.com/
https://torstat.xenobite.eu/

All of the above provide useful information for the first-time tor user. But

the last two are only really meaningful to initates (and probably confusing
to everyone else), while the first is reassuring but could really offer a
little more.

What is needed (IMVHO) is a page that confirms you are using tor
successfully,
but also introduces you to the other services that tor offers and also some
advice for the tor debutante. A sort of official or unofficial 'welcome to
the tor network' page. This could be linked to in the FAQ/INSTALL and used
by
controllers/front-ends.

Would the maintainers of any of the above be interested in providing such a
thing? Given that the heavy lifting has already been done on all of the
above, it would be very trivial to create. Would there be an appetite for
such a thing on the tor homepage itself?

Suggestions for content:

* A warm greeting!
* Top Five things all tor users should know
* Appeal for users to run servers and link to how-to
* An introduction to some hidden services

Anyway, just a thought...

Robert