Re: Best Hardware for TOR server..

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:44:17PM -0800, algenon flower wrote:

>      Because of difficulty in the past when I was using minimum hardware
>    specs,  I now will be setting up my TOR server on a dedicated machine
>    with this physical architecture:
>     P4 processor @ 3GHZ, Intel MB, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 80 GB SATA HD, all

That's a bit of an overkill for a dedicated machine, unless you want
to serve multiple MBytes/s. The system could easily double as a home
fileserver, etc.

>    behind a  Linksys Firewall Router.

Make sure this is not your weak spot. OpenWRT is a good firmware here.
In general, it is always a good idea to buy a WRAP or ALIX (or its
Soekris equivalent) piece of kit, and flash it with a decent firewall,
like m0n0wall or pfSense.

>      My service provider will most likely be Comcast cable broadband.

How much upstream do US cable modem providers offer? My provider
so far has stepped up to 2/30 MBit. They do up to 100 MBit/s in France
(upstream unknown).

>    **Comcast always adds their own modem, I am wondering if the usual
>    modems they provide will be adequate for use with a TOR server.**
>      My main question here is whether or not Comcast's modem will work
>    well with a TOR server, or, if I need to upgrade *that too*... If
>    anyone knows if there is something wrong here, or something I
>    seriously need to improve upon, please reply.
>      The whole thing will be on RedHat Enterprise Linux.

I personally find Debian apt-get upgrade type of system installs
preferrable, especially for headless machines/from distance.