Re: Running on embedded hardware

> I'm trying to run a tor client on my router in order anomyise my network.
> - System is: Asus WL-500G (32MB Ram)

Nice router.  The CPU is a 260 MHz MIPS core from Broadcom that
implements almost all of the MIPS32 instruction set (the one exception
being the WAIT instruction).

> - OS is: OpenWRT whiterussian (Linux: 2.4.30)

Switch to Kamikaze.  It's much more pleasant to work with, and I've
found it to be somewhat more stable than Whiterussian.

> I built tor with ./configure --prefix=/opt/tor -with-libevent-dir
> (...) --with-ssl-dir (...)

You're cross-compiling, so you'll probably want to say something like

  CC=mipsel-linux-gcc CFLAGS='-Os -march=mips32' ./configure --whatever

> --- SIGILL (Illegal instruction) @ 0 (0) ---
> +++ killed by SIGILL +++

As coderman noted, this might indicate a mis-compiled binary.  Make
sure you compile for MIPS32, and that you use at least gcc 3.4.4.

Upgrading to Kamikaze is good, since it will have been compiled with
a more recent release.

                                        Juliusz