Troubles getting on IRC now

I had been connecting to the irc.freenode.org server but recently, while
running tor I am no longer allowed to connect even though I am not trying to
connect anonymously with tor.  I know there are a couple hidden service
versions for freenode but neither of them work for me either.  I enter their
*.onion address and my client (Kopete) SEES them but it never actually
succeeds in connecting.  I get:

[08:57] [Info] Looking for server mejokbp2brhw4omd.onion:6667...
[08:57] [Info] Server found, connecting...
[09:00] [Error] Connection to Server mejokbp2brhw4omd.onion lost: operation is
not supported.
[09:00] [Info] Trying to reconnect to mejokbp2brhw4omd.onion in 20 seconds.
[09:01] [Info] Looking for server mejokbp2brhw4omd.onion:6667...
[09:01] [Info] Server found, connecting...

over and over and over.  The other freenode hidden service is authenticated by
pgp key but I cannot connect to that because I would first have to connect to
the regular server, or the non-authenticated hidden service above to generate
a hash, etc.

What is it about running tor, even as a relay, that prevents me from
connecting at all to freenode?  I can connect to undernet but it doesn't have
the chat rooms I seek/need.

praedor