problem while trying to fetch 0.2.1.8-alpha

     I appear to be getting an SSL connection error when using wget(1) to
fetch 0.2.1.8-alpha using the links from the tor project's download page.
Here's what happens:

Script started on Thu Dec 11 13:12:24 2008
[hellas] 33 % wget https://www.torproject.org/dist/tor-0.2.1.8-alpha.tar.gz.asc  https://www.torproject.org/dist/tor-0.2.1.8-alpha.tar.gz
--13:13:02--  https://www.torproject.org/dist/tor-0.2.1.8-alpha.tar.gz.asc
           => `tor-0.2.1.8-alpha.tar.gz.asc'
Resolving www.torproject.org... 86.59.21.36
Connecting to www.torproject.org|86.59.21.36|:443... connected.
ERROR: Certificate verification error for www.torproject.org: unable to get local issuer certificate
To connect to www.torproject.org insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
Unable to establish SSL connection.
--13:13:03--  https://www.torproject.org/dist/tor-0.2.1.8-alpha.tar.gz
           => `tor-0.2.1.8-alpha.tar.gz'
Connecting to www.torproject.org|86.59.21.36|:443... connected.
ERROR: Certificate verification error for www.torproject.org: unable to get local issuer certificate
To connect to www.torproject.org insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
Unable to establish SSL connection.

FINISHED --13:13:03--
Downloaded: 0 bytes in 0 files
[hellas] 34 % exit
exit

Script done on Thu Dec 11 13:13:08 2008

     The http_proxy environment variable is set to "localhost.:8118" for
privoxy, but I now discover that the man page for wget(1) doesn't say what
wget does for HTTPS requests.  (There's no separate https_proxy variable.)
In the output above, though, it doesn't look like it's going through privoxy
to connect, in which case there would be messages about connecting through
localhost.:8118.  Regardless of whether a proxy is used, it looks like there
is some other problem.
     I've probably made some simple mistake, but if someone would clue me in,
I'd be grateful.  Thanks!

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG