Re: System Proxyfier for Windows: WideCap

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 7:30 PM,  <gregoron@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ...  WideCap is supposed to proxify
> the whole OS I think and it handles DNS too.

by default nothing is proxied and the user interface requires
individual applications to be selected for proxy.  as Kyle mentioned
this is insufficient protection for Tor users since various Windows
services may access network resources outside application proxy
settings.

if WideCap were to default all applications proxied that would be more useful.

> ... WideCap acts as virtual network driver
> covering all your TCP/IP activity. No launchers - just run your program
> as usual and work via proxy.

this is the model of operation for the early work done on Tor in a VM
for Windows:
  https://data.peertech.org/files/demo/testinfo.html

please heed the warnings about the alpha state of this software :)

> Q: After the proxy checking I've got that all proxies are broken. And
> the system event log reports about "EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the
> security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect
> attempts". What's wrong? I have Windows XP SP2.
> A: It's problem related to WinXP SP2 users (and possible Win2003). In
> this systems the TCP/IP driver has a limitation for concurrent
> connection attempts. Limited to 10 concurrent connection attempts.
> Unfortunately there's no registry key to fix this but patch exists. Read
> more about Event ID 4226 + patch
>
> -->That last question is the same issue I think of non-server Windows
> issues when acting as a Tor node.  In my next email to the list found a
> great little app that will change the connect limits in the tcpip.sys
> file to whatever you want.  I set mine to 100.

there are actually two issues (or more?) for non-server Windows
running Tor.  the usual problem Tor encounters is not related to the
number of concurrent attempts but to kernel non-paged memory resources
consumed to exhaustion when lots of active non-overlapped-I/O sockets
are in use.  details here:
https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/WindowsBufferProblems

the concurrent connection attempt limit is easier to fix, although
messing with system files is generally not advised!

best regards,