Re: Windows buffer problems

On 12/19/08, coderman <coderman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> there are actually two issues (or more?) for non-server Windows
> running Tor.  the usual problem Tor encounters is not related to the
> number of concurrent attempts but to kernel non-paged memory resources
> consumed to exhaustion when lots of active non-overlapped-I/O sockets
> are in use.  details here:
> https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/WindowsBufferProblems

This bit from the web page:

  "Manipulating
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize
and TcpWindowSize to 0xfaf00 (1027840) seemed to increase the time to
failure when running Tor and BitTorrent."

seems backwards.  Instead of buffering up to 16KB of data for each
open connection you're telling the system to buffer up to 1MB of data
for each open connection.  How can increasing system buffer usage help
if the problem is insufficient buffer space?

So I'm wondering if the problem could be that the system runs out of
available ports.

XP defaults to using something like 4K ports and 240 seconds for
keeping a closed socket in the timed wait state.  Has anyone tried
bumping the allowable port numbers up to 64K and dropped the timed
wait state time to 16 seconds?

 ----
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"MaxUserPort"=dword:0000fffe
"TcpTimedWaitDelay"=dword:00000010
"StrictTimeWaitSeqCheck"=dword:00000001
 ----