Re: Google DNS

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 05:04:08PM -0500, erilenz@xxxxxxxxx wrote 0.5K bytes in 13 lines about:
: Google launched a free recursive DNS resolver service today:
:
: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/introducing-google-public-dns.html
:
: It doesn't hijack NXDOMAIN or do any other sort of filtering. Just
: thought I would mention it as the topic of countries blocking DNS
: lookups or Exits using OpenDNS comes up every so often.

So far, it doesn't seem to restrict the number of queries per second per
host IP address.  I've been testing googdns from my non-exit node, since my local
provider intercepts NXDOMAIN.  It is very fast to respond.

I also like their stated data retention policy.  Recording nothing would
be better.

This is not an endorsement, but I like a fast, pure dns server versus
one that tries to protect me from the four horsement of the internet
apocalypse.  More testing remains.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project