Re: Google DNS

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Ted Smith <teddks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 17:04 -0500, Erilenz wrote:
> Google launched a free recursive DNS resolver service today:
>
> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/introducing-google-public-dns.html
>
> It doesn't hijack NXDOMAIN or do any other sort of filtering. Just
> thought I would mention it as the topic of countries blocking DNS
> lookups or Exits using OpenDNS comes up every so often.

I've always used Level3's servers (4.2.2.1-6, IIRC) because my ISP
intercepts NXDOMAIN. Is there a reason why I should switch? Does anyone
have any experience on Level3's servers? I've never had any problems,
but then I don't know anything about them with regards to data
retention, etc...

It would be very nice if there was a caching nameserver that could
resolve via tor-resolve, making multiple queries to weed out
censored/malicious results. Does anyone see any immediate problems with
this, or know of anything like it?

I too have used Level 3 servers (4.2.2.1 - 4.2.2.6) without a single problem for the last 10 years.
They are probably the oldest DNS servers on the net, and they work %100 of the time, in my experience.

That's my $0.02.

- K