Re: Vidalia Bundle and RSS in Thunderbird 3.0

On 12/27/2009 8:59 PM, andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:19:35PM -0600, pit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote 2.1K bytes in 48 lines about:
> : feeds are polled (the new topics are displayed but not readable). I get
> : an error saying that Tor is not an HTTP transport proxy or some such (I
>
> Right, Tor is a socks proxy, not an http proxy.  You may have
> mis-configured the proxy settings in thunderbird 3 to use localhost:9050
> for the http and https protocols.

I did, but even when I use 8118 (the control panel gives the port of
9051), I still have problems with both email and RSS retrieval.

> : Is this normal behavior? If so, why? This isn't covered in your online docs.
>
> It is.  What may not be covered is Thunderbird 3 specifically, since
> it's new and we rely upon volunteers to tell others how to configure
> various programs.   And as you've discovered, tor tells you it isn't an
> http proxy.

In Pidgin, my IM client of choice, I have only a few problems (AIM and
ICQ says its been getting too many connect requests from me) setting it
to HTTP proxy with port 8118 (if this is an incorrect setting, I can
change it to socks5).

I'll try once again to set it as a socks5 proxy in Thunderbird 3. I was
just copying the settings that TorButton uses in Firefox 3.6b4.