Re: Vidalia Bundle and RSS in Thunderbird 3.0

2009/12/27 Programmer In Training <pit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 12/27/2009 10:00 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:

> Leave the http, https, ftp, ssl, gopher, whatever fields blank.  only
> configure the socks field as "localhost:9050".  If thunderbird 3 has
> proper socks support, it will only use the socks proxy on localhost,
> port 9050 for access to the internet.

That setting causes my connection to time out and I cannot send/retrieve
anything.

What happens if you set the http fields to 127.0.0.1:8118, and the SOCKS field to 127.0.0.1:9050? What happens if you set the SOCKS field like this, but leave all other fields blank? Thunderbird may not know that `localhost' is shorthand for 127.0.0.1.

Slightly off-topic, but broadly related:
Isn't Thunderbird known to be a `leaky' client? Of course, with a new version, its behaviour may have changed; but I was under the impression that it occasionally included the system's true IP address, hostname, or other identifying details in outgoing messages, or in communication with a mailserver. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Also, are extensions' traffic piped through the main proxy settings, or are extension writers responsible for determining their own behaviour? I'd love to use Thunderbird with Tor, but not if its unsafe to do so. Given that Thunderbird and Firefox share extension architecture, is it possible to use TorButton with Thunderbird?

My apologies if this messages is out of date by the time it is received. It is send using a slow store-and-forward system. The emphasis is on the `store'.