Re: Vidalia Bundle and RSS in Thunderbird 3.0

On 12/28/2009 3:15 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On 12/28/2009 03:48 PM, Programmer In Training wrote:
<snip>
>> That's pretty much what it does for me, leaves the feed stale (and
>> useless). I guess I'll have to get a third-party poller and use it in
>> the open.
>
> It depends if you want it updated every refresh.  Sometimes, tor doesn't
> build a circuit fast enough for TB3, so TB3 gives up and moves on.  I
> imagine overtime, you'll get your updates just fine.

I do, as most of my feeds are from a news paper (the Jerusalem Post, if
you're wondering, which seems to handle RSS weirdly anyway).

>> Hrm. So tor automatically blocks smtp connections by default and there
>> is local leakage of DNS by TB3. Guess it's time to find a new mail
>> client. ):
>
> Actually, no.  The default exit policy blocks smtp ports.  Sometimes,
> you can find exit nodes that allow smtp.  These are times are typically
> few and far between.

I imagine it's because even s-smtp isn't as secure as it could be.

> I intend to dig through the tb3 source code a bit to see if there's an
> option for forcing dns resolution over the proxy.

I believe it's the same as listed in the Wiki for FF BUT in FF it
doesn't work (I cannot resolve the .onion example link for the Hidden
Wiki with it set to true) so I imagine in any version of TB it doesn't
work (reliably anyway).