Re: 0.2.1.27 rebinding or-port on HUP?

On 09.12.2010 03:01, TomÃs Touceda wrote:
> Which version of Vidalia are you running? I don't remember it changing
> settings, since what it sets is passed through a parameter when it
> starts Tor (i.e. the custom torrc file, controlport, etc).

I run 0.2.10 compiled from source, since the Gentoo ebuild wanted to
pull in tor as dependency ;) I did not specify custom build parameters.

I run tor on my NAT gateway, a headless linux box. I use Vidalia to
connect to it over my internal LAN. Vidalia's (partly default) config was:

[ ] Start the Tor software when Vidalia starts
[X] Run as a client only
and Control address, port and password on "Advanced" tab.

Pressing "(>) Start Tor" on Vidalia Control Panel connects to the
running tor instance. The following shows up in tor.log:
(timestamps removed and long lines shortened for readability)

[notice] Your ContactInfo config option is not set. [...]
[warn] You have a ControlListenAddress set to accept connections from a
non-local address.  [...]
[notice] Tor 0.2.1.27 (re57cb6b9762a2f94) opening log file.
[warn] You have a ControlListenAddress set to accept connections [..]
[notice] Closing no-longer-configured OR listener on 0.0.0.0:443
[notice] Tor 0.2.1.27 (re57cb6b9762a2f94) opening log file.
[notice] Closing old OR listener on 0.0.0.0:443
[warn] You have a ControlListenAddress set to accept connections [...]
[notice] Tor 0.2.1.27 (re57cb6b9762a2f94) opening log file.
[notice] Renaming old configuration file to "/etc/tor/torrc.orig.1"
[warn] Couldn't rename configuration file "/etc/tor/torrc" to
"/etc/tor/torrc.orig.1": Permission denied

It seems obvious that Vidalia configures the running instance via the
control connection. And that would be totally fine if that was the
instance that Vidalia spawned itself, but in this case I want to stop it
from happening.

I could try to mirror the tor configuration in Vidalia, so that no
changes occur, or divide bridge and client functionality to two separate
instances. I'd rather just flip a switch in Vidalia ;)

Sincerely

Sebastian