Re: Adding voip to torchat

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 4:55 AM, hhhh xhdhx <johncalisano@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I figured the lgical thing to add to torchat would be voip .Is there any
> move to that end , can anyone give me pointers as to probable protocols ,
> packages that can be ported to torchat .Or how abt getting ekiga to do the
> same along with zrtp .???

Pretty much all VoIP protocols use UDPâ which makes sense for their
normal realtime operation.

For voice over tor you'd really want some kind of push-to-talk
moderate latency system that uses TCP. There really isn't a lot like
that out there, but developing one wouldn't be hard.  For the audio
coding codec2 (http://codec2.org/) would be the obvious choice right
nowâ in order to keep the load on the network nice and low.

It sure would be nice if tor had mutually authenticated peer to peer
connections. So that every X-over-tor protocol doesn't have to invent
some crazy binding protocol like torchat uses to mutually authenticate
a hidden service. E.g. something to allows a hidden service key to be
used as "caller-id" while calling another hidden service.