Re: [tor-talk] tails on Microsoft Virtual PC

Hi,

First, please take Tails -specific questions to the places where the
Tails community lives; see at the bottom of
  https://tails.boum.org/support/
and
  https://tails.boum.org/contribute/
depending on the kind of input / question.

Eugen Leitl wrote (04 Dec 2011 15:24:30 GMT) :
> I've just tried tails in a Microsoft PC VM and it's quite nice.

Great. That's something we want to support because some people, in
some situations, simply don't have the choice and cannot run Tails on
bare metal.

But I'm not comfortable seeing this kind of stuff mentioned in places
like tor-talk without any kind of warning, so let me add everyone
interested in Tails + virtualization *must* read our warnings page:

   https://tails.boum.org/doc/advanced_topics/virtualization/

> Anyone knows how to switch the screen resolution, as the default
> debian doesn't seem to know the virtual hardware?

No idea. Please use the integrated "Report a bug" application, and
hopefully we'll get enough details about that virtual hardware to
answer, and possibly fix things on our side.

> I know I could install it in theory, but the idea of booting afresh
> from a live CD has a lot of tabula rasa appeal.

I may have misunderstood you, but just in case it was not clear:
Tails is a Live system.

What we call "installation", in Tails world, is either burning
a *Live* CD or preparing a *Live* USB stick. Both will behave the same
"tabula rasa" way.

On the contrary, when run in a VM, it totally depends on your *host*
OS how much "tabula rasa" it will be in practice, and there's nothing
Tails can do to protect you from that.

Cheers,
--
  intrigeri <intrigeri@xxxxxxxx>