Re: [tor-talk] How important is it that the MyFamily option be set correctly?

On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 09:53:01PM -0600, Pascal wrote:
> While looking through http://torstatus.blutmagie.de I noticed a couple
> relays that appear to be related but were not listed in each others'
> family.  Out of curiosity I whipped up a quick Perl script to check all
> relays with identical contact info to see if they are listed in each
> others' family.  On this basis alone I found 142 relays that are not
> correctly listed.

Can you post the script / results somewhere?

If the relays are in the same /16 network as each other then setting
myfamily is redundant (but still pleasant).

If they're not, then it actually will make a difference.

How important it is is still a matter of debate -- on the one hand,
we want to let clients avoid building circuits that use more than one
relay operated by the same individual, and the closer we can get to that
ideal the better. On the other hand, real bad guys aren't going to make
it obvious when they run more than one relay.

> The config file says to see
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorFAQ#MultipleServers
> for more information about this option, but this URL appears broken.

I just filed https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/4652

Thanks,
--Roger