Re: [tor-talk] New to List

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 12:15:18PM -0800, Erich Kroener wrote:
> Here is my set-up and what I have done: Running v.0.2.2.34, Linux/Ubuntu
> environ, Firefox of course with network.proxy.sock 'true' - all traffic
> goes through SOCKS5. Connecting to network no problem.

You should be using Torbutton, not mucking with Firefox's about:config
settings yourself. In fact, you should be using Tor Browser Bundle Linux,
not using your own Firefox.
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/

> Added "TestgSocks 1" to torrc file to see log output, followed from
> here:
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorFAQ#IkeepseeingthesewarningsaboutSOCKSandDNSandinformationleaks.ShouldIworry

Gah. That FAQ entry really does say "TestgSocks". That's not a valid torrc
option. That means if you think you're setting it for Tor, you're not.

The more general lesson is that the FAQ on the wiki has decayed and
should not be considered authoritative. The only FAQ entries I will
vouch for are on https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq

> I am not seeing warnings, just not convinced no DNS leaking. Also even
> though added to torrc, not getting anything to test in the logs. Every
> time I access .onion sites browser times out.

The timeout is probably because you are using your own Firefox rather
than TBB.

> Any helpful next steps? How can I be sure?
>
> I first posted this question to tor-qa but it appears that nobody
> subscribes to this list.

tor-qa was intended as a "Tor quality assurance" list, not a questions
and answers list. It's for volunteers who want to test packages. It also
appears to have a particularly confusing name.

--Roger