Re: [tor-talk] "If you have access to certain tools, you can completely ignore Tor."

On 12/24/2011 4:09 AM, grarpamp wrote:
to put one in someday, we'll make it obvious and loud that it is so.
No Backdoors. No bugdoors. No so-called "lawful interception" systems.
Court orders and duress can be applied to anyone who is
reachable by them. The only real solution should that happen
is to take things underground on Tor, or any other strong net,
and remain open source therein. It is unfortunate in this
regard that the current systems employ known authors.
But new unknowns will step in place of the old if need be.
Good point. I think you're right. They may have to go WAY underground. Everyone knows several countries have already outlawed Tor & other internet uses / sites.

Julian Assange was way to visible to carry out his mission, whether one agrees w/ his agenda or not. If gov'ts can't stop persons / organizations they deem embarrassing or threats because of free speech rights, they'll invent other charges against them.

Again, I just can't see many gov'ts leaving Tor alone, when (unfortunately) it * presumably *allows "combatant enemies" to easily communicate anonymously. Democratic nations may not ban it, but they have to protect their national security & they won't sit idly by while terrorist groups thumb their noses at security agencies. It's unfortunate that the use of Tor for true, non-violent free speech & access to info & it's use for more sinister purposes get mixed together.

It was once unthinkable that US & other free countries would listen in on potentially all citizens' conversations or read private mail (electronic or paper) w/o court warrants, but it's here & so far, people pretty much accept it.