Re: [tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

----- Original Message -----
From: Barry Shein
Sent: 12/01/12 12:48 AM
To: Joakim Aronius
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

 On November 30, 2012 at 08:18 joakim@xxxxxxxxxx (Joakim Aronius) wrote: > > I am all for being anonymous on the net but I seriously believe that we still need to enforce the law when it comes to serious felonies like child pr0n, organized crime etc, we can't give them a free pass just by using Tor. I dont think it should be illegal to operate a Tor exit node but what just happened could be a consequence of doing it. Yeah, next they'll let just anyone walk down the sidewalk without identifying themselves. And those are public sidewalks paid for by tax dollars! Or drop a few coins in a public telephone (I know, a little dated, but they exist) w/o id and commit some crime! I think some here need to reflect on what they're saying. Sure, it'd be better to stop bad guys, but this has always been the problem in a free society, you can't just put draconian rules on everyone else because otherwise some bad guy might not be immediately and easily identified. This was the sort of reaso
 ning they used in the Soviet Union to make it very difficult to get access to a photocopy machine (ask someone who lived there, it was practically like buying a firearm in the US.) We're all (well most of us) glad that law enforcement does its job, but even the US Constitution (3rd amendment) bothered to state: No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law. It's only an analogy but I think it's clear, if we're protected from being forced to provide food & shelter directly to soldiers presumably defending our lives and country the principle as it pertains to being required to do whatever law enforcement dreams up to catch bad guys is pretty clear. As a principle -- Note: I am NOT making a legal point! Ok, grab onto that "manner prescribed by law", but remember that it said "in time of war". None of what we're discussing is relevant to any war (except as politicians to
 ss around the war on this or that.) > Of course they might not know abot Tor and believes that it is Mr Williams that is the bad guy. > > /J Sure, but I assume he told them that :-) -- -Barry Shein The World | bzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx | http://www.TheWorld.com Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada Software Tool & Die | Public Access Internet | SINCE 1989 *oo* _______________________________________________ tor-talk mailing list tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-talk

 You need to get rid of a helluva ton of laws before you begin allowing LEA to go out "in-FORCING".
 Check out Louisiana and its status as the state with the highest rate of incarcerating its citizens. But more importantly, check out
 the lobbying that goes on to defeat almost every measure that would cut crime, so that crime increases.
 Private business prisons, need customers. One easy way to get more, is to pass more laws that can effectively,
 and easily make it possible for more people to become criminals, "by law!"
 That, is what Obama and Romney both mean when they say, "America, a country that lives by the rule of law!"

 The hot-button of CP is akin to suspending gravity because one child falls off a roof.
 If you suspend it for one, then everyone else falls off the planet, or in this case through the cracks and into the hands of the law,
 who are always breaking the law!
 Thus, you take away the rights of everyone, for one example, which in a way, is a one time affair. But the loss of liberties is forever.
 Control your children and stop controlling or trying to control everyone else.

 See what kind of monster you have begat when your controlled children can finally leave home!
 Some will immediately go to war, killing other poor people for a paycheck.