Re: [tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

> The BBC has an article about a similar issue on a Tor exit node in Austria:

> Austrian police raid privacy network over child porn
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20554788

actually it is not a "similar case" but the case of William W. that
BBC reported. Though with some mistakes: the servers were not seized,
the hardware (drives etc) at his home was seized, William was not
charged (he says), police is just investigating.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6283/raided-for-running-a-tor-exit-accepting-donations-for-legal-expenses/p5

And so far only the police know if "images showing child sex abuse"
were actually "found passing through them" as BBC writes.

The warrent posted at arstechnica.net
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Beschluss.png
mentions section 207a, para 2, 2nd case, and para 4 no 2, lit b of
Austrian Criminal Code, which would be possession of a a pornographic
depiction of a minor person over 14, showing their genitals in an
obscene manner. (the text of the relevant section in German:
http://www.ris.bka.gv.at/Dokumente/Bundesnormen/NOR40105143/NOR40105143.html)

The warrent does not mention anything that refers to distribution or
transport of pornographic images. So, either police and judge were not
aware that it was a TOR server or they have/had a suspicion
that's not related to running a TOR server. Or the made a
mistake and quoted the wrong section. We simply don't know at present.

regards,
jutta

am Samstag, 01. Dezember 2012 um 17:10 schrieb nanog@xxxxxxxxx:

> The BBC has an article about a similar issue on a Tor exit node in Austria:

> Austrian police raid privacy network over child porn
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20554788

> ##
> Austrian police have seized servers that were part of a global anonymous
> browsing system, after images showing child sex abuse were found passing
> through them.

<...>