Re: [tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if

Ok, the thread that wouldn't die is back from the grave. Sorry
for killing the threading.

----- Forwarded message from "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund@xxxxxxxxxxx> -----

From: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 16:01:46 -0600
To: nanog@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if

If I am a network guy and I sent up a heavily encrypted VPN for use by
worldwide drug cartels, I am pretty sure I am committing a crime.  If I
have knowledge that what I am doing is going to further the commission
of a crime, I am probably committing a crime.

The service provider that sold me the connection is not at fault here
because they have no way of knowing what I am up to in the normal course
of their business.  I don't know where anyone got the idea that
communications is private from law enforcement with the proper
authorizations.  Your phone can be traced or tapped under the laws of
most countries, the only difference is the level of control.  Even
though we may all view some groups in China, Syria, Sudan, or wherever
as dissidents, their own governments may view them as terrorists and you
will probably get in trouble for helping them.  I would guess (but don't
know) that it is illegal to communicate covertly inside of China.  It is
probably also some sort of crime to circumvent their firewall
protections.  I am not making the right vs wrong case here but be
advised that what might be philanthropic in one country could very well
be a crime in another.

 A lot of the law (and moral decision making in general ) is about
intent.  If the guy was trying to help people protect themselves from
totalitarian regimes and such then he is probably morally and legally
innocent of a crime.  If the guy was building a covert network for what
the police allege, he is guilty.  If he was pirating movies and someone
else was using it for child crimes then he is partial responsible in my
moral opinion.  I am not familiar enough with German law to tell you if
he is legally guilty or not.

Steven Naslund